This is a blog of our preparation and cruising experiences aboard our sailboat, C-Time. There are many more posts on the other pages, so be sure to click on the "Starboard" and "Port" tabs.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Rum Cay to Acklins Island

February 11, 2014

We had a long day ahead of us, a long sail – about 79 miles for today.  To accomplish that many miles we had to leave our anchorage at Rum Cay very early this morning.  I wasn’t sad about leaving it, it didn’t offer a lot of protection from the ocean swell and we rocked and rolled most of the night.  Daniel was up and dressed and in the cockpit – ready to go at 2:30.  I, on the other hand, rolled out of bed and grabbed a flashlight and headed for the bow of the boat.  Since we anchored in about 9 to 10 feet of water last night and the tide was down another foot or two this morning, I got to take my flashlight and shine it on the water looking for coral heads and/or rocks.  Picture me, half asleep, in my gown, on the bow of the boat.  I saw no reason to get dressed – it was just the fishes that were going to see me and I had big plans to go back to bed.  So I was on “watch” for about 15 minutes while Daniel backtracked using the “cookie crumb” trail on the chartplotter.  After we were well clear of the hazards, I threw a Coke Zero and some pop tarts at Daniel and crawled back into our soft bed.  Daniel did an awesome job steering the boat and when I got up at sunrise, I rewarded him with bacon and eggs (I’m not all bad). 

Winds were favorable for us to sail for about 4-1/2 hours, and motorsail the rest of the time.  Ocean swells were about 6 feet and weren’t bad at all.  The wind during the middle of the day kicked up some moderate wind waves, but they didn’t last long.  We watched a squal sitting over Crooked Island for a long time, but it never threatened us.  All in all it was a perfect sailing day.  Other than the cargo ships in the shipping channel, we never saw any other boats until we reached the anchorage.  We were pretty much the only 2 people in the world for a whole day - but we finally pulled into beautiful Atwood Harbor on Ackins Island.  It is a remote location and there were only 4 other boats staying here with us.  There are no houses around and I didn’t see anyone on shore.  Really quiet place, tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Justin Snow2/12/2014

    "cookie crumb trail on the chartplotter"? "kicked up some moderate wind waves"?? "a squal sitting over Crooked Island"??? "motorsail"???? Oh my goodness, look at those nav phrases! My mom has turned into quite the sailor!!! If you show up in South America with an anchor tattoo on your forearm, you're grounded!

    ReplyDelete