This is a blog of our preparation and cruising experiences aboard our sailboat, C-Time. There are many more posts on the other pages, so be sure to click on the "Starboard" and "Port" tabs.

Monday, February 3, 2014

Norman's Cay to Wardericks Cay


February 1, 2014

Good bye Norman’s Cay, hello to Wardericks Cay.  It took us probably a half day to get here, the winds were not favorable and the ride over was choppy.  The waves were averaging 4 to 5 feet.  They were steep and close together.  When we finally arrived at Wardericks Cay.  Wardericks Cay is part of the Exumas’ park system.  We took D-Time and went ashore.  First we went into the park’s office and looked around and then we took a hike to the top of Boo-Boo Hill.  At the top a lot of people, over the years, have left the name of their boats written on driftwood.  It was a huge pile of boat names.  Lots of little lizards around too.  After the hike it was time to go snorkeling.  We took D-Time and found a sand bar to put the anchor out in and we got out in about 3 feet of water and walked close to the spot we wanted to snorkel.  We put our gear on and just went for it.  Really neat corral and fish to see.  On the way back there was a spot that had a lot of current in the water.  I wasn’t anxious to get out and try it but Daniel was.  Our plan was that he would get out and I would follow him in D-Time.  Up until this point, I really haven’t “driven” D-Time but I was game to try it.  Daniel started snorkeling and was having a blast.  I pulled the cord to start D-Time and apparently I had the throttle turned way up because the engine starting sounding like it was going to take off but it was in neutral so I was fine but for some stupid reason I thought the way to get the throttle to settle down was to put it in gear.  Well as soon as I put it in gear it wanted to take off, I didn’t want it to do that.  Daniel was hanging on to D-Time to get ready to save me.  I tried to put D-Time in neutral but instead I put it in reverse and it was still making the loud noise.  Daniel yelled at me to turn the throttle down and I guess I did because it finally died.  It scared me so bad, I started crying.  I just knew I was either going to run over Daniel or destroy the motor.  Well, that was the end of snorkeling for the day and Daniel has pulled my D-Time driver’s license until I get more practice. 


 

1 comment:

  1. I think you really didn't want to drive D-time. Do you even know how to drive a 5-speed auto? ;)

    ReplyDelete