This is a blog of our preparation and cruising experiences aboard our sailboat, C-Time. There are many more posts on the other pages, so be sure to click on the "Starboard" and "Port" tabs.

Monday, February 17, 2014

Providenciales, Turks & Caicos to French Cay, Caicos


February 15, 2014
Today I thought we were spending the day in Providenciales but things change.  Always – just be flexible.  Daniel was still suffering with his back and really woke up not feeling like continuing on so I gave him another dose of medicine and then took advantage of the wifi in the area to FaceTime with all 3 of our sons and their families.  I also had time to call both our Moms and FaceTime my friend, Blenda, so it was a good way to spend my morning.  I had about decided after all of that catching up that I would take D-Time into town and walk around.  I haven’t actually touched solid ground since we were in George Town, Bahamas and I was itching to touch some.  About that time Mark and Amanda came on the radio to let us know their plans to move a little further south to position themselves for a bit of a shorter passage to the Dominican Republic.  The next few days, weather wise, is perfect for moving on, but the weather window is really only good for the next 2 days.  After that, wherever you are, you are most likely stuck for the next 6 days.  Since our next stop was the Dominican Republic, I woke Daniel and shared Mark and Amanda’s plan.

Daniel shook off the medicine and started looking at weather and charts.  We decided that Mark and Amanda had a great plan and asked if we could follow.  Daniel really couldn’t steer much right now because of his back, so since I would be doing the steering, I asked Mark and Amanda if we could just “follow them”.  They were wonderful about it all and said, no problem.  So that was the plan, we took off just after noon and about 3 ½ hours later we dropped the anchor at French Cay, Caicos.  A really cool portion of the trip was a dolphin that followed us, did circles around the boat and followed us some more.  We saw him for more than half the trip.  I was a little sad about leaving Providenciales but French Cay made up for it.  A tiny little island in the middle of the Caicos Banks.  We were the only humans on/near the island.  It was totally wonderful.  Amanda and I went ashore and walked the beach, I really, really wanted to touch the land and walk around and she was sweet enough to keep me company.   It was a wonderful break.  Lots and lots of shells on the beach and lots of birds on the island.  I did a little bit of snorkeling, too.  Really nice afternoon at French Cay.

No comments:

Post a Comment