This is a blog of our preparation and cruising experiences aboard our sailboat, C-Time. There are many more posts on the other pages, so be sure to click on the "Starboard" and "Port" tabs.

Monday, February 3, 2014

Nassau to Allan's Cay


We pulled up anchor about 7 this morning headed for Allan Cay.  Our first stop was for diesel fuel before we left Nassau.  $5.00 a gallon, not bad.  We left and were gone a couple of hours when it was time for us to “stand watch” looking for coral heads in the water on the way from Nassau to Allan Cay.  They are known to cause damage to boats and it is in your best interest to “stand watch”.  So I went to the bow of the boat and stayed there for about an hour fearlessly watching out.  We saw lots of huge coral spots but we were able to avoid them.  After an hour, I went back and I remembered what I had forgotten before I went to the bow.  Sunscreen.  I was red as a lobster.  I can hear my Mom now telling me “you know better” than to not put on sunscreen. 
We made it to Allan Cay (pronounced “Key” and not “Kay”) along with about 15 of our closest sailboating friends.  Well, they aren’t friends yet but if we spend some time here, they may be.  We dropped the anchor and Daniel hopped in the water to go check and make sure it was set.  Sounded like fun, so I followed.  We snorkeled ashore where we were welcomed by about 25-30 iguanas.  No kidding.  They are everywhere on the island in front of us.  Thank goodness they don’t swim.  I’m told they aren’t aggressive, but all I know is when I tried to follow Daniel on shore, one of them came at me.  I turned around and ran back to the water squealing like a little girl.  It was their island first, they can have it.  I will just swim around it. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment