This is a blog of our preparation and cruising experiences aboard our sailboat, C-Time. There are many more posts on the other pages, so be sure to click on the "Starboard" and "Port" tabs.

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Attwood Harbour, Acklins Island, Bahamas to Providenciales, Turks & Caicos

February 13, 2014

We met a really nice New Zealand couple in our anchorage last night, Mark and Amanda, and we found out that they were heading the same way we were this morning so we decided to keep an eye on each other today as we travelled.  We have big plans to go from Attwood Harbour, Acklins Island, Bahamas to Providenciales (Provo), Turks & Caicos.  It’s going to be a long day with us most likely arriving in Providenciales sometime in the morning.   Before we left the anchorage this morning I received a very nice video (via text) from one of my best friends,  Blenda, that showed me all of the ice and snow they are having to deal with in South Carolina.  I’m sorry you guys are having a rough time and hope it warms up for you soon.  If it doesn’t, come see us, we’ll share paradise with you J.

Daniel listened to the weather forecast this morning, like he has every morning, and the winds and seas were going to be a little rough as we started but they were supposed to be more favorable as the day went along.  So we raised the anchor and took off right behind Mark and Amanda.   After we had left the harbor I asked Daniel to give me a “reading” on what he felt like the conditions were – he said we were “screaming along at 8.2 knots with an ocean swell of 7’ and wind waves of 4’ on top of that”.  My “reading” on what I felt like the conditions were “oh my gosh, take me home!  I feel like I’m in a freaking washing machine – where’s my Dramamine”?  Thus far, I have muddled through without the Dramamine (I even heated up last night’s leftovers for lunch) but the ocean swell has turned into 8 to 10 foot waves.  These are the roughest conditions we have been in yet and I must admit, not a lot of fun.  Mark and Amanda are just out of sight now, but we are still in touch via the VHF radio. 

We had a squal come up just a little bit ago, we took all the cushions down below and everything else we didn’t want to get wet and I put on my life jacket.  This is the first time I’ve worn it since we bought it at the Annapolis Boat Show last year.  That’s how big the waves are.  Daniel laughed.  It’s 4 p.m. now and the winds are starting to be a little bit more favorable but they’re still about 12-14 knots and the ocean swell is still a bit nauseating.  Daniel has been amazing steering us and raising and lowering sails (as needed) – I’ve been too “green around the gills” to be much help. 

I’m posting today a little early because once we leave Bahamian waters my hot spot will not be working and I’m not sure when I will make it to town to get another phone card for the Turks & Caicos.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous2/14/2014

    Be Safe!!! I'm glad to hear the trip is going well so far!

    Amanda DuBose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2/14/2014

    Hi we just checked in on your progress. Sounds like you have got some tougher conditions. The hunter is a great safe boat and under estimated by a lot of people. We laughed, as it would appear that the only people over there are kiwi,s & ozzzie,s (new zealander & Australians). Ask your new kiwi friends if the walabies are going to smash the All blacks this year and see if they react. We are watching your trip with even greater interest now as we have friends doing what you guys call the 'great loop'. Their boat is currently in Kingston Canada waiting to cross the great lakes. They have asked us to join them later in the year to sail down the Mississappi. An offer to good to refuse. Have a great sail guys be safe S&T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys! Great to hear from you! We were wondering if Kiwis are from New Zealand - that's for clearing that up. They even have their own SSB radio frequency "net". Sometimes they let us Americans participate :-). I can't believe you're going to sail the Mississippi! That is awesome - please let us know how it goes. We'd love to show you C-Time. You guys know how good a Hunter is - she is holding up well. We really like our Aussie and Kiwi friends we've met - the nicest people! Take care!

    ReplyDelete