This is a blog of our preparation and cruising experiences aboard our sailboat, C-Time. There are many more posts on the other pages, so be sure to click on the "Starboard" and "Port" tabs.

Monday, March 3, 2014

Samana to Ile de Mona to Puerto Rico, USA

February 27-28, 2014

The trip from Samana to Ile de Mona (USA) was uneventful, thank goodness, just long.  We left Samana at 5:00 p.m. and arrived in Ile de Mona at about 3:30 p.m. the next day.  Amazing what you can find out as a cruiser – I never knew Ile de Mona existed and what I treasure I would have missed if we weren’t cruising.  It is a huge island in the middle between Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico.  It is a Puerto Rican National Park.  It has 4 mooring balls and you just pull up and hook up to one.  Then you can swim on your own private beach and snorkel – gorgeous!  We made it to shore and walked around a bit where they have some ‘primitive’ camping spots set up for people to come in a boat and camp.  There are lots of hiking trails and the island is big enough to boast an air strip.  There are park rangers, with houses of their own, on the island.  It is also a research island and there are more houses that house the research personnel.  If you swim to shore and leave your snorkeling gear too close to the water, you may come back and find your mask and snorkel missing, gone.  L  I have to shop in Puerto Rico for a new set. 
We stayed a couple of hours, would liked to have stayed longer, but Puerto Rico is calling us.  We have friends flying into Puerto Rico this next week to spend a week with us on the boat, so we have to keep moving.  We’re very excited to see Tim and Blenda, even though I talk to Blenda almost daily via e-mail, messages or FaceTime, it isn’t like spending some real face time together. 

After we left Ile de Mona, I was beat and went below to take a nap.  I was sleeping SO good when Daniel urgently comes and gets me – “you have to see this – these dolphins are going crazy out here.”  I’m like, “I’ve seen dolphins, I need a nap”…but he’s pretty excited so I jump up and go topside and am definitely NOT disappointed.  I have never seen so many dolphins!  It was better than MarineLand.  They were doing flips and twists, jumps way into the air and twirling around – they gave us a show we will never forget.  It totally made our trip from Ile de Mona to Puerto Rico! 
The rest of the night to Puerto Rico was a long one – the seas were rough and the winds were about 15-20 knots.  Then we SAW Puerto Rico.  Did you know there are mountains in Puerto Rico?  I didn’t have a clue – what a wonderful surprise.  Our only visit has been to San Juan with nice flat streets, these mountains are just a really nice surprise.  Our final surprise, while I was down below cooking breakfast, another humpback whale came by to say “hello”.  Daniel said he was very close to our boat but the time I got topside, he was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment