This is a blog of our preparation and cruising experiences aboard our sailboat, C-Time. There are many more posts on the other pages, so be sure to click on the "Starboard" and "Port" tabs.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Great St. James Island, USVI to Little Lameshur Bay, St. John, USVI


March 15, 2014
After a restful night, we set off for Great Lameshur Bay this morning.  We made a quick stop in Chocolate Hole (anything named “Chocolate” has to be good) to take some pictures for our friend, Marshall, of the house he and his family used to live in (nice place!) and then we continued on to Great Lameshur Bay.  As we motored by Little Lameshur Bay (right next to Great Lameshur Bay) we noticed only 1 sailboat moored there in front of a white sandy beach.  We continued around the edge of some rocks and saw Great Lameshur Bay with about 10 boats moored and a peeble beach.  My feet said, go back to the white sandy beach and the unbusy bay so we turned around and went to Little Lameshur Bay.  We basically had our choice of mooring balls and chose the one right next to the beach.  Ahhhh.  We put on our snorkeling gear and jumped in.  The snorkeling, though not magnificent, was amazing.  It’s hard to find a mediocre spot in which to snorkel  in the Virgin Islands.  After we finished snorkeling, it was time to put our feet up and rest a bit.  NOT!  Daniel already had the trail map out for the mountain we were staying next to.  Yes, I said mountain.  He found us a trail.  A bit “strenuous” of a trail, but we could do it, no problem.  He promised me a waterfall, so I was game.  I put on my swimsuit, a cover up and put my socks and walking shoes in D-Time, we were ready.  WAIT, I forgot, a bottle of water, just in case. 
We arrived at shore and no matter how you did it, your feet ended up wet and coated with the lovely white sand.  No big deal, I brought a water bottle.  I sat on a picnic table and poured that cold water all over my feet to get the sand off for the long hike.  Slipped on my socks and shoes (ahhh) and then we set out for our hike.  We had plans to see a waterfall and petroglyphs (ancient writings carved in stone).  In the past, I’ve hiked and Daniel says, we’ve gone about a mile or a half mile – all kind of general, nothing specific,  so I decided to turn on my app on my iPhone (Map My Run) that keeps up with how far you go and what kind of workout you are doing.  We started out and went nice and flat for about .10 a mile where we saw a deer run in front of us, we saw cages that the park service was using to capture mongooses (which we saw in some of the cages) and we saw lots of beautiful plants.  This was going to be a great hike!  Then it went up hill, way up hill – for over a mile.  My iPhone chirped out “one mile, very strenuous workout”.  No duh, I was thinking.  We finally leveled off and then went steeply downhill for about a mile – iPhone:  “two miles, very strenuous workout”.  About this time, I’m wishing I had that water bottle full of that cold water.  Oh well, we push on. 
We came upon some old ruins of a sugar plantation and looked around a bit then back tracked to the right trail to the petroglyphs and waterfall.  By this time I’m sweating like crazy and really looking forward to the waterfall and was so glad I wore a swimsuit to hike in so I could just jump into the waterfalls on cool off.  We make it to the petroglyphs and see one big rock with carvings on it.  It was neat to see, but 2 miles worth?  Not so sure.  Anyway, I start looking around for the waterfall and well, there isn’t one.  Apparently it isn’t rainy season so there is no water, only a disgusting black pond with mosquitos flying around it.  Really???  I want my waterfall!  No choice, we turn back and head, you guessed it, uphill for a mile.  Daniel says I’ve made a decision.   I’m thinking airlift me out of this hike via a helicopter or he’s going for a 4-wheeler to haul me out.  Either is fine with me.  Nope, I get to keep walking but he has decided to start out with two glasses of water when we get back to C-Time and follow it up with a coke and a glass of milk.  I think he is thirsty, but thankfully he doesn’t say anything about the water I poured out over my feet before we left.  iPhone:  “3 miles, strenuous work out”.  Ugh.  By the time we get back to D-Time we have gone 4.70 miles.  We are both guzzling water.  Next time, I won’t empty the water bottle on my feet before I go.  Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment