This is a blog of our preparation and cruising experiences aboard our sailboat, C-Time. There are many more posts on the other pages, so be sure to click on the "Starboard" and "Port" tabs.

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year!

We are getting close...really close to leaving.  We could even be leaving by this coming weekend.  That's what Daniel said to me on this past Sunday afternoon.  I was sitting and reading a book in the cockpit enjoying the new cockpit cushions and it hit me.  We really COULD be leaving extremely shortly.  I hopped right up, packed my bag to head back to work and said I had to go.  I had laundry to   do at my friend Blenda's house, shopping left to do, another trip to Goodwill to give away more stuff...basically I had an anxiety attack.  It's not about being anxious to leave, it's about all the things that have to be accomplished before we can go.  I knocked out quite a few of those things this week, but still have a few more.  We've been told that our grandson is not too anxious to meet us, it may be another week to 10 days before we get to hold him - just gives us more time to finish those last projects and shop and plan more.  

One of the worst things I have been dreading to do, I will have to do tomorrow.  I know it's crazy to get all emotional about saying good-bye to a dog, but Shula is MY dog.  The only one that has truly been mine.  We've had other dogs, but they were the "family dog".  Daniel gave me Shula 8 years ago, a puppy to help fill our empty nest and fill it he has.  I've shared him with Daniel, so Shula is ours, but he's a "Momma's boy".  He has sat and comforted me after a 6 week surgery recovery, he sat with me and stayed at my feet after I slipped and fell earlier this year and had to be home for 2 months.  We go for walks, I talk to him and he wags his tail every time I come home.  After a bad day at work, a smile immediately comes on my face when I see him running towards me when I get home.  This is really hard.

 

This post is not meant to be a sad one, or even an anxious one, it's just a "real" one - it is just to show you that as much as I'm looking forward to our upcoming adventure - it isn't always easy to get there or to even get started.  It's hard and a big commitment.  I'm ready, though, and am truly looking forward to seeing what 2014 has in store for us.  Happy New Year, everyone!

5 comments:

  1. james potter1/03/2014

    Good luck on your voyage and a happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe journey Daniel and Carla. I'll be following your travels! Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking if y'all Carla and Daniel ! Safe travels
    and proud for you following your dreams !
    Chip and Carol Howell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shula is doing fine.! No worries..!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dan! I know he is fine, but I miss him, a lot! Thanks for helping to keep an eye on him.

      Delete