This is a blog of our preparation and cruising experiences aboard our sailboat, C-Time. There are many more posts on the other pages, so be sure to click on the "Starboard" and "Port" tabs.

Monday, January 13, 2014

Day 1 / Day 2

Day 1 of our adventure.  We left Charleston Harbor at the crack of dawn, literally.  The sun was just coming up when we got out past the jetties.  It was cold and we were both dressed in lots of layers.  Not too cold though, Daniel had made us a “cockpit enclosure” made out of vinyl window material that kept the cold air off of us.  It was wonderful – it made traveling in the early cold wind very enjoyable.  I made Daniel breakfast and I had coffee.  We both could tell the waves were going to be “fun” so we both took our dramamine.  Daniel went with one small tablet – I went for the big stuff, a 3 day patch.  Hey, don’t judge!  The waves were like 4-6 feet and we rode and rode them.  The wind was 15 knots from the northwest, perfect day for sailing.  I tried to nap, but never was able, to the ride was just too exhilarating.  It was a beautiful day.  Once we got off the coast we kept going – ended up being about 11 miles off shore.  We were traveling with our sails out and the engine off.  It was so quiet and so pretty.  After the sun came up we were able to remove some layers of clothing and actually end up in short sleeves for the afternoon.  The night before I had made stuff poblano peppers (stuffed with ground beef, onion, peppers and hot cheese) for dinner, so I used the other half of the meat mixture to make us some beef burritos for lunch.  I added in a big bowl of fruit for each of us and that made a yummy lunch.  When we decided to “go in” to get on the Intracoastal Waterway (ICW) we had to crank the engine.  We motored for about 4 hours until we found our spot for the night, St. Helena Sound.  There was one other sailboat in the area, other than that, we pretty much had the place to ourselves.  The water was so calm, it was like we were still docked at the Cooper River Marina – except calmer than that!  With the dramamine still in us, we were able to sleep like babies. 
 
 

Day 2

Look at that sunrise!  Big plans for the day!  We are traveling to Hilton Head to meet some friends from my law firm’s Hilton Head office for lunch.  We pulled up anchor at about 7 am.  It’s going to take us about 4 1/2 hours to get to Hilton Head on the ICW.  We have yet to see another boat out here, just lots of birds and lots of crab pots.  We are still trying to dodge those things.  Daniel had a bagel this morning for breakfast and I went with the greek yogurt and fruit (Blenda inspires my breakfast).  Blenda and I have been having breakfast together at the office for years – I really miss her.  I took a picture of the sunrise this morning and texted it to her.  She immediately took a picture of her view (2 computer monitors) and sent it back to me.  So nice to start the day with a laugh!  Thanks, Blenda!

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous1/13/2014

    So glad I made you laugh!! You keep on eating that yogurt and fruit girlfriend...I'll think of you while I'm eating mine here at the office with the view! Love you! Blenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin1/13/2014

    What an incredible sunrise! Thanks for the dinner idea for tonight. Keep those recipes coming!

    Is there a single person in the world who is not jealous of you two? I, for one, cannot wait to retire (in 30 short years)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You keep working, mister...you have college to provide for our granddaughter!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous1/13/2014

    I'm loving this adventure!! You make me feel the wind in my face and taste the stuffed peppers. Thanks for the great narratives. We miss you! But we are there with you in spirit and know you are loving every minute of this "freedom ride." Keep the stories and pictures coming. Love, Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! Glad to have you along for the ride :-). I miss you already!

      Delete