This is a blog of our preparation and cruising experiences aboard our sailboat, C-Time. There are many more posts on the other pages, so be sure to click on the "Starboard" and "Port" tabs.

Friday, May 2, 2014

Carlisle Bay to Mamora Bay, Antigua

May 1, 2014
 
We decided to check out another anchorage on Antigua and left Carlisle Bay just after breakfast.  On our way to Mamora Bay, we wanted to take a quick look at English Harbor from the water so we headed that way first.  We knew it was sailing week in Antigua but we honestly weren't thinking about it this morning.  As we made our way into English Harbor through a some what narrowly marked channel, we started passing boats with lots of people on board - the racing boats.  We were already committed to seeing the harbor and are glad we continued on.  It was a very pretty harbor and being filled with racing boats and sailors just made it all the more attractive.  We got to the end of the harbor and turned around to head back out when it became apparent we were in the line of boats that were heading out to race.  There were bunches of them.  Small ones and huge ones.  I saw one whose boat name was "Girls for Sail", filled with all women, wearing pink shirts.

After English Harbor we continued on towards Mamora Bay.  I must say the coastline along the way was gorgeous.  Dramatic rock cliffs and deep blue water - just beautiful.  We anchored in Mamora Bay and decided to go see English Harbor from land. It was only 3 miles to town so we decided to bike there.  The road was pretty level, a few hills, nothing we haven't handled before but it has been a little while since we were on the bikes.  Anyway, as we're going up hill, I get a little winded and need a short break.  After the break, still pointing up hill, I try to get my bike started but all I do is wobble and fall - in the middle of the asphalt road.  A few scratches and a sore knee (blood on my shorts), I insist I can keep going.  We make it to town and went to a place called Nelson's Boatyard.  It is an interesting place filled with an old fort and the related outbuildings that have been converted into restaurants and shops.  They've kept as much of the old buildings as they could and they have taken a lot of care to make the whole place friendly and welcoming.  Daniel and I had a nice long lunch at their dock restaurant and then headed to the fort to walk around it.  By this time, after sitting so long through lunch, my knee has gotten worse and we ended up skipping the fort.  It takes everything I have to get me and my bike back to the boat, but I did make it.  I would ride awhile and walk awhile.  Daniel was awesome - he stayed right with me.  I think he was afraid I would fall over again.

We spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing and washing my clothes to get the blood stains out.  After laundry, I figured the only way to really make me feel better was to make a batch of double chocolate chip cookies.  Nothing makes a girl feel better than some chocolate.  It also took some aspirin and a couple of pain pills, but hopefully I should be back to normal soon.

1 comment:

  1. Ooops! Hope you're feeling better soon! We record Distant Shores and watched an episode last night -- they were in English Harbor (don't know when it was recorded - probably several years ago). They visited a man that makes (or repairs) sails. He was also on one of the Olympic Sailing teams. I could hardly understand what he was saying, but it was still pretty cool.

    Chocolate is the BEST medicine!

    ReplyDelete