This is a blog of our preparation and cruising experiences aboard our sailboat, C-Time. There are many more posts on the other pages, so be sure to click on the "Starboard" and "Port" tabs.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

St. Martin

April 16, 2014

Today was "Discover St. Martin" day.  We made plans to rent a car ($20 a day) and see the island.  We just had to arrange to pick the car up.  Usually it isn't hard picking a car up, but when you live on a boat, it's a little more difficult.  We both can't go to the car rental place because it is located near the airport and the place to park D-Time is located on the opposite side of the bay.  So Daniel took me in D-Time and let me off on "Airport Road" and we were pretty confident I could find the rental car place (it was located on Airport Road), rent the car, and then drive to meet him on land near where he was parking D-Time for the day.  Piece of cake!

I got out of D-Time and started walking.  I walked about a block and said, this is stupid - I'm asking for directions.  I walked into a competitor rental car place (I have no shame) and asked them if they knew where my rental car company was located.  The guy that was giving me directions finally gave up giving me directions and just said - get in, I'll take you.  I now have to take back the mean thing I said about the French yesterday, because this guy was super, super nice.  He drove me, probably a mile to his competitor.  I told  him if I had not prepaid for my car, I would definitely have rented from him.  I pick up our tiny little car and started driving.  Daniel and I had prearranged a place I would pick him up - but honestly, I wasn't feeling really confident I would ever see him again.  I drove about 5 minutes and found him standing on the side of the road in Marigot.  I was so happy to see him!

We then set off to discover the island.  It is a beautiful 7 mile long island and we enjoyed about every mile of it.  We saw a couple of signs along the way "Entering the French Side" - kind of strange for us to remember that there are 2 countries that own this 7 mile island. We stopped at Orient Bay and went to the beach and enjoyed a long walk.

We hit a couple of marine supply stores and checked out some other local shopping.  Then it was time to go to the famous beach where the airplanes land and take off right over the beach.  We were pretty excited to stand in front of the gate to the airport grounds and feel the jet blasts as the planes took off.  We waited long enough to see one plane land, none were taking off, but it was really neat to see how low they fly.

We turned our rental car back in and found D-Time.  We made it back to our boat in time for dinner and watching a gorgeous sunset.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4/23/2014

    We were right there on that beach too several years ago....so cool seeing those airplanes come in wasn't it? Miss you guys!
    Blenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding a genuine and professional car rentals service provider is a difficult job. Next Level Car Rental made it easy with its amazing team by providing budget car rentals in St.Maarten at http://www.nextlevelcarrentalsxm.com.

    ReplyDelete