This is a blog of our preparation and cruising experiences aboard our sailboat, C-Time. There are many more posts on the other pages, so be sure to click on the "Starboard" and "Port" tabs.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Hampton Bay, Antigua

April 29, 2014

Antigua is a beautiful island - just what you think the Caribbean should look like.  White sandy beaches, colorful houses and gorgeous water to play in.  I like Antigua.
 
We spent the first two hours of the morning going through the formalities of checking into a country.  We had to take C-Time to the immigration and customs dock, then Daniel went inside and checked us in.  Paperwork, yuk!  After checking in, we had to move the boat back where we came from and dropped anchor.  We then took D-Time to town for a grocery shopping experience.  Never go to the grocery store hungry.  That's a rule, but I broke it.  We ended up getting some milk, fresh vegetables, croissants, fresh fruit, eggs, bread and a trip through the deli we bought some jerk chicken, homemade macaroni and cheese and some fried rice.  I told you we shouldn't have gone hungry.  We did end up with a yummy lunch once we got back on board.

We took C-Time to Five Islands, Hampton Bay anchorage, on Antigua to spend the rest of the day and the night.  Since it was still early in the afternoon, and Daniel was reading a magazine, I decided to take D-Time to shore and walk on a deserted beach and maybe pick up some shells.  I took a 10 minute ride to shore and even though there were a few waves crashing on me, I went ahead and took D-Time to shore.  Once on shore, the waves kept washing over D-Time so I decided to not stay and to hop back in and go back to C-Time or find another beach.  So I pushed D-Time into the water, but the waves kept pushing us back on shore.  I pushed again and was finally able to hop in D-Time, crank the engine and go - but I was so close to shore that to keep the prop from hitting bottom, I backed D-Time out...in crashing waves.  It was a mess.  By the time I finally got turned around I had a couple inches of water in the bottom of the boat.  I have never seen that much water in the boat before.  I started trying to get some out, but I didn't have anything on board except a small wash clothe to suck up the water.  Somehow I made it back to C-Time.  Daniel met me and handed me a hand held pump to use to get the water out.  Lesson learned - don't go on the beach with D-Time if there are a bunch of crashing waves hitting shore.

1 comment:

  1. the crosses4/29/2014

    Yes, but imagine if you had been in that situation 4 months ago! You probably would've been stranded. Anyway, Roll Tide from the Crosses at Cooper River Marine. The girls and I have been following your adventures with great interest and envy!
    -Scott, Ro, and girls

    ReplyDelete