This is a blog of our preparation and cruising experiences aboard our sailboat, C-Time. There are many more posts on the other pages, so be sure to click on the "Starboard" and "Port" tabs.

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Great St. James Island, USVI en route to St. Martin



April 13, 2014
We let go of our mooring ball at 7 a.m. this morning.  The winds were down, the seas looked calm and decided it would be best to get underway as quickly as possible to enjoy the calmer weather.  We made our way over to Cruz Bay on St. John, USVI, and once we got to the harbor, Daniel let me off the boat on D-Time to go ashore and “check us out” of the United States.  I must say, there was a bit of a sad feeling saying good bye to the USA.  I walked into Customs and Immigration on the main street of Cruz Bay and was the only person in line.  It took me all of about 5 minutes to check out.  We have to have our “check out” papers from the USA or St. Martin will not allow us to enter their country.  So we are all set.  After a quick stop at the grocery store for a gallon of milk, I made my way back to D-Time, and then made my way back to C-Time.  I’m an independent girl!  There is still a little bit of anxiety on my part as I come up on a dock and have to lock up D-Time to the dock by myself – but I must say, I’m doing a pretty good job of it now. 
After the formalities were taken care of in St. John, Daniel put the sails up and we have enjoyed a marvelous day of sailing.  The winds are steady about 15-20 knots and the seas are less than 2 feet.  Later in the afternoon a couple of squals came through and we had wind gusts up to 26 knots and the seas picked up to about 4 feet.  We found a nice place to anchor for the night and will set off for St. Martin tomorrow. 
I love the Virgin Islands but I must say, I’m ready to see some other islands.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment