This is a blog of our preparation and cruising experiences aboard our sailboat, C-Time. There are many more posts on the other pages, so be sure to click on the "Starboard" and "Port" tabs.

Monday, June 9, 2014

Pigs and Sharks


We left Rudder Cay and headed towards Staniel Cay and the pigs.  We missed the pigs on the way down the island chain and honestly, I think Daniel was tired of hearing me say “I want to see the pigs” so he made it a stop on our way back.  We were not disappointed.  We dropped anchor right in front of the island with the wilds pigs.  There were loads of people already on shore “visiting” the pigs so we decided to watch and then go make our visit to them first thing in the morning. 

We took a few treats with us to feed them and made our way to shore in D-Time.  Actually, we stopped short of shore to see if they would swim out to us and this HUGE pig did.  I mean HUGE.  His snout was like a foot long – and he must have weighed 400 pounds or more - this was one big pig.  Daniel gave him a few of our treats and then we pushed on towards shore and Mr. Big Pig followed us.  About a dozen small to medium pigs came out to meet us.  Daniel hopped out of D-Time and went ashore and started feeding them.  I’m a city girl – the pigs are supposed to be in cages or something – ain’t no way I’m getting out of D-Time to get close to them, I can see them just fine from D-Time.  Daniel petted them and fed them but when Mr. Big Pig pushed and made squealing noises at the little pigs, I felt like I made the right decision to stay in my safety zone, D-Time. 

So now, we can add wild pigs to our list of animals we’ve seen on a beach in the Bahamas or the Caribbean, along with donkeys, horses, cows, goats and chickens.  It’s sounds a bit like a farm, doesn’t it?  (I have pictures of the pigs to share, but have to wait until I have better wifi to post them.)

We left the pigs and made it back to D-Time and decided to swim a little at the boat (the pigs didn’t swim out that far).  We swam for a bit and then I went aboard first and started drying off.  Daniel was still in the water and he came up to the side of the boat and said “did you see the shark”?  Oh. My. Gosh!  Shark?  He said it was as big as D-Time (which is 11 feet).  No, I didn’t see the shark, but I would not be getting back in the water to look for him either.  Daniel likes the sharks, he wanted to swim with them.  The man is crazy.  He said they were “nurse” sharks and they didn’t like to eat humans.  I decided to not chance it.  We had quite a few sharks that ended up swimming next to and under our boat.  It was neat to watch them, from the deck of the boat. 

1 comment:

  1. It doesn't seem like it has taken y'all very long to get back to the Bahamas after deciding not to go to Colombia. Are you sailing longer days?

    ReplyDelete